Jian Bing (Beijing Breakfast Crepe)
A very popular street stall breakfast crepe notably in Beijing, costing about 25 cents.
3 parts cornstarch,
2 parts millet flour and
1 part mung bean flour
Hot bean paste
Satay sauce or Chinese BBQ sauceMethod:
1. Combine the flours with water to make a batter. Important that it has no lumps.
2. Heat a skillet and apply either a spray of veg oil or a small amount to the skillet surface.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of batter and immediately swirl the pan to distribute the batter in a thin layer.
4. When just cooked break an egg over the top and spread the egg completely over the pancake. Sprinkle some chopped green onions over the egg. Allow to set .
5. Turn the crepe and lightly smear it with the three sauces. Lightly being the operative word. One can be over-spread with the next.
6. Place a youtiao (Chinese cruller) in the centre of the crepe and fold the edges to encase the youtiao.